Tuesday, August 21, 2012

First Paragraph, Tuesday Teaser -- As Husbands Go


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
I've had this one on my shelf for awhile. As Husbands Go by Susan Isaacs is described on the book cover as a social satire. I hope it's fun.
Who knew? It seemed a perfectly nice night. True, outside the house, the wind was whoo-whooing like sound effects from a low-budget horror movie. The cold was so vicious that a little past seven, a branch of the great white spruce on the front lawn that had been creaking all afternoon suddenly screamed in pain. Then a brutal CRAAACK, and it crashed to the frozen ground.
But inside our red brick Georgian in the picturesque Long Island town of Shorehaven, all was warmth. I went from one bedroom to another to kiss the boys good night.

 Also this week is Teaser Tuesdays.
Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along!
Open to a random page of your current read and share a teaser sentence from somewhere on that page.
BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS!
Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers.
Here's mine from page 62:
February was a lousy month for a husband to disappear, with its snowless days of cold wind and rain.


So what do you think?

10 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I think the cover is awesome:)...the intro doesn't grab me,and this is not an author I would normally read...so not sure I'd continue, but I hope you prove me wrong.

Just Me said...

Loved the title (instantly thought of humor) and didn't really look at the cover until I read Diane's comments - changes things a little.

It sounds fun.

Paulita said...

There were a couple different covers on Amazon, but this is the one I have, so I included it. It definitely gives a hint about what happens in the book though.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

This is a fun and quirky novel...I love Susan Isaacs!

Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

kayerj said...

the cover art makes me think somebody dies--the opening paragraph is sweet with a little mystery. I'd probably keep reading. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

Nise' said...

Hmmm, wonder what happened to the husband. Enjoy.

Moniquereads said...

This is a new to me author and book. The intro didn't grab me but the teaser sentences did get my attention. I can't wait to read your thoughts.

Becky said...

I have not heard of this book before. Thanks for sharing and stopping by my teaser.

Becky @ A Reader’s Devotion

Linda said...

Sounds good. Wonder where he went?

Paulita said...

I'm liking this book so far. The only thing is that the cover and blurb make it clear the husband dies, yet the first third of the book is all about her trying to find the husband, who we, the readers, know is dead.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...