Tuesday, November 13, 2012

First Paragraph, Tuesday Teaser -- Peaches for Frather Francis

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
This week, I'm reading Peaches for Father Francis by Joanne Harris. Many of you remember her from the book and movie Chocolat. This book is about the same characters and is getting good reviews from lots of my blogging friends. So far I'm loving it.
Here's the intro:
Someone once told me that, in France alone, a quarter of a million letters are delivered every year to the dead. What she didn't tell is that sometimes the dead write back.

And that is the entire first chapter.

Also this week is Teaser Tuesdays.
Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along!
Open to a random page of your current read and share a teaser sentence from somewhere on that page.
BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS!
Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers.
Here's mine from page 84:
The cards are bad. I should put them away, I know. What am I doing here, anyhow? I almost wish I had never opened Armande's letter; that Roux had never delivered it; that he had thrown it into the Seine.

What do you think?

13 comments:

danasparkle said...

OH yeah, that's good. might get it for the long haul flight back to Australia. Thanks P. *

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Great intros; great story - enjoy!

The Book Rogue said...

I'm especially intrigued by this first paragraph. Makes you think.
Thanks a lot for sharing, and for stepping by my TT

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

What an intriguing opener! And I love books set in France. That delicious title is captivating!

Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun book- thanks for sharing!

Margot said...

In the hands of this writer this little bit is enough. I'm looking forward to reading this book.

vvb32 reads said...

great intro! i have this on my to read list - most definitely, now.

Jenny @ Book Sojourner said...

The dead writing back sounds creey and good. Nice choices.

Thanks for stopping by Book Sojourner.

Sim Carter said...

That is an amazing first chapter! Such a creepy but compelling notion - the dead writing back.
The same characters as Chocolat - fantastique!

Sim Carter said...

I was trying to find you on Twitter but couldn't - are you not there?
It doesn't really matter, I forget to check my feed for days and rarely tweet myself, but I know a lot of novelists like you are constantly tweeting :)

Nise' said...

Definitely want to read this one!

The More the Merrier said...

Great teaser! I'm wondering what those cards say?
Thanks for visiting my teaser.

Lord Mark said...

Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...