Tuesday, February 04, 2014

First Paragraph, Tuesday Teaser -- Heads Above Water

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
Next week I get to review my favorite kind of French book -- a memoir about someone moving to France. It's called Heads Above Water and is by Stephanie Dagg.
Here's the intro:
We arrived in Ireland in 1992, when times were good, cars were held together by string, and food prices were almost non-existent. Having only ever lived in cramped housing estates in England with tiny gardens and too many neighbours, we couldn't believe our luck at finding a bungalow in the countryside to rent. We called it Harry's House, after our amiable landlord. He didn't put the rent up in over three years, and on the rare occasions we had a building-related problem, he was at the front door to sort it out within minutes. Harry's House had a large back garden and a fantastic view over nearby fields and distant Cork city. It was in a row of five other bungalows all  housing lovely families. 
Also this week  is Teaser Tuesdays. Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Open to a random page of your current read  and share a teaser sentence from somewhere on that page. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teaser.
Here's my teaser from 23%:
Fairies first. According to this version, fairies used to bathe in hot springs near these rocks. The Fairy Queen was quite happy with this, so long as the fairies got home before dark. But of course, one day they didn't and the Queen got cross.
I'm looking forward to this one.

11 comments:

Sandra Nachlinger said...

This sounds like a delightful story! I love memoirs that take place in unusual places (unusual to me, that is).
My Teaser is from CAPE MAYBE.

Anonymous said...

I like the description of the house! Lovely!

Mine: http://storytreasury.wordpress.com/2014/02/04/3212/

Unknown said...

Harry's House in Ireland sounds great. I hope you enjoy the book.

Just Me said...

Sounds like a good one. That cover alone is intriguing.

Hope you enjoy it.

Margot said...

The opening sounds like a place I'd love to spend time. Yes, I'd keep going.

Literary Feline said...

The cover made me laugh. :-) It sounds like an interesting story.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Gee, this seems cute. I'd keep reading...enjoy

Mystica said...

Sounds lovely and I do so like the cover!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I do love the sound of this one...I'll be watching for your review! Thanks for visiting my blog.

Nise' said...

Sounds like there is more fun to come! Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

just finished reading it, loved it!

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...