Friday, February 28, 2014

Highly Influenced

Do you ever read about food in a book and suddenly get a craving for it?
If that has happened to you, then you'll understand why there is a turkey roasting in my oven today.
I blame it all on Anna Quindlen's novel Still Life with Bread Crumbs. No, it wasn't the bread crumbs but the description of Thanksgiving. Really, not the main Thanksgiving meal, but the leftovers. The idea of a turkey sandwich, those thick slabs between two slices of wheat bread, are what convinced me to buy a turkey at the grocery store yesterday.
I finished Quindlen's novel yesterday, and it made me feel hopeful at the end. Maybe the feeling that remains once you've closed the book is the most important thing.
Of course, it also made me feel hungry.
How bout it? Have you ever gone in search of food after reading about it in a book?

6 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Only happens to me with cookbooks ....LOL

Almost done with this one.

grammajudyb said...

not always, but now I want a turkey sandwich, cranberries and a hot cup of tea. :)

Paulita said...

Glad I could influence you!

Just Me said...

Does your blog count. Your posts often spring me into action to find something yummy that you have described or something close to it.... you can now include turkey dinner leftovers.

Paulita said...

Just Me, I'll think of you today then when I eat my turkey sandwich and tomorrow with the turkey and noodles.

Linda said...

I'm not sure if I have but I do still remember the scene in one of the Little House on the Prairie books where they eat some canned peaches. I read it when I was eight or so.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...