Sunday, April 02, 2017

Dreaming of France -- Paris Can Wait


Please join this weekly meme. Grab a copy of the photo above and link back to An Accidental Blog. Share with the rest of us your passion for France. Did you read a good book set in France? See a movie? Take a photo in France? Have an adventure? Eat a fabulous meal or even just a pastry? Or if you're in France now, go ahead and lord it over the rest of us. We can take it.

One of my Facebook friends shared the trailer for a  new movie set in France. I immediately felt a kinship with it, like I could have written this story. Unfortunately, I didn't. The movie was previously called Bonjour Anne, and I did find a book by the same name, but only in French by Pierrette Fleutiaux, There isn't a description so I don't know if the movie is based on this book. Let me know if you find any info to confirm.

Still the movie looks terrific. Diane Lane plays the main character, Anne. She and her husband (played by Alec Baldwin) fly to Cannes, but Anne wants to go on to Paris. She ends up driving through France on the way to Paris with one of her husband's business partners, a debonair Frenchman. The two of them explore various aspects of France and Anne learns not to rush toward the end game but to enjoy the journey.
Here's the trailer:
This movie will be released in the US while we are in France. Maybe it will already be out there and we can make time for a movie.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The movie looks adorable. Although....how did they detour all the way to the Pont du Gard from Nice? That's about at least a three-hour drive alone, and not at all on the way.
Then I'm guessing they are in Lyon, which is a big zigzag in back east (and a little north, at least).
It is nice that Arnaud Viard isn't super handsome. And that his car might be a little convertible, but it's a Peugeot and more rickety than antique. So his attractiveness is all about personality, not looks or "success."
Too bad women's roles are never like that. When the woman is less than beautiful, she always ends up with a makeover to turn into a swan by the end. "Shirley Valentine" is the only movie I can think of where the frumpy, middle-aged female protagonist has a hot love affair and remains frumpy and middle aged.
Diane Lane doesn't need any makeover. She's gorgeous.

Just Me said...

Francetaste good points. But the movie looks like one I'd love to see. I don't have access to many smaller films here. 😞 If they come I have to scurry because they will only be shown for a very short time. I really miss the old Drexel theatre in Columbus. I could finish up the dishes, open the news paper, and go see whatever was playing at that time. I could get there in the middle of the day within 5 minutes. It was always a delight.

Paulita said...

Francetaste, Yes, double standard for men. It looks like they definitely took a meandering route through France. Perhaps that was his plan.
JustMe, I bet this one is more mainstream, kind of like MamaMia, but we can always wait for On Demand too. Guess it would be silly to go see a movie about France while I'm in France!

Unknown said...

The book "Bonjour Anne" by Pierrette Fleutiaux is a memoir about the French writer Anne Philipe, so I don't think it has anything to do with this film :).

Paulita said...

Jane, Thanks for letting me know. I wonder if they changed the name of the movie because of the book.

Louise said...

Oh I haven't heard of this before, but know that I'll watch it some time.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...